Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: iriver D100 =)

Here's a long overdue review of the iriver d100!

Was really excited when I got the parcel because I waited super long for it! (note to self: MUST use EMS next time..) Anyway, once the mailman left, I ripped the boxes apart! hehehe. Pictures first! (:

The box!


Pure white goodness


Even comes with earphones wrapped in cute rubber thingy! =p


Home screen (My exam's in 45 days!! ㅠㅠ)


With the case I bought for the D100 (:

The dictionary has been working pretty well so far, although it takes some time to start up (around 20 seconds?) so I only use it when I'm studying Korean for an extended period of time. Other times when I meet phrases that I don't know, I just use my iphone dictionary for that.

The shortcut keys

The search function is available in English, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin and Hanja. The Mandarin version lets you type in Hanyu Pinyin then gives a whole list of words matching it, while for the Hanja one, you have to write it out using the touch pen.


Searching a word in Hangeul gives search results in English, Japanese, Mandarin and French. You can then click on the one you want (sometimes there are more explanations). There are highlighting tools available so that you can highlight words that you want to take note of. It will be saved so the next time you check the same word, it'll be highlighted. Easier to find things you want if there are many meanings to that same word!

Photo viewer (서울대의 운동장)

MP3 function

PDF viewer

There is also an MP3 function, which I use to listen to the Iyagi lessons from TTMIK when I'm outside. As the audio file can be played in the background, I can use the PDF viewer to view the transcript file at the same time (:



There is also a travel conversation function, where you can learn conversations that will be useful when you travel, such as purchasing tickets or making hotel bookings, and of course simple greetings. The one shown above is for Japanese (:

Last but not least, this is one of the functions I use to learn new vocabulary on-the-go. It's a dictionary meant for Koreans to study English, so it actually comes with a TOEIC learning/review application. So what it does is that it provides a list of words to remember, then there's a multiple-choice test after that, where more commonly used words would be tested.




I must say I'm pretty happy with my purchase! (: It provides adequate explanations in both English and Mandarin, and Hanja will be written beside a word if there's a Hanja equivalent. I like! (: Moreover it has awesome graphics and MP3 function to boot, pretty and light to carry around..what's not to like? =D

20 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I just started learning Korean and grateful that found several Korean learners' blogs. You guys keep me motivated, thank you for sharing! ^^

    I'm curious about D100, from which store do you buy it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It's always nice to get to know new Korean learners =) I actually bought it from gmarket.co.kr, they do international shipping! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. the graphics look so nice!! i'm now so tempted to get one >,< i think the pdf viewer is awesome. do they open .hwp files too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha if you can wait until June, i can buy it back from Korea for ya! ^^ then again there's always gmarket if you can't wait to get it hehe, can 顺便 shop for clothes too haha!

    hmm apparently i searched online and it does open .hwp files, but i can't seem to do it! ㅠㅠ i'll try to figure it out next week after my test :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! Just randomly got into your blog.
    I bought an e-dict last year too but is a D1000. It spoilt a few months ago actually... i dont know what exactly happended to it but there was a burnt smell when i charged it and the next thing i know it blacked out. DDDD: By chance you know anywhere in singapore can fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Oh no that sounds bad =( it's an expensive one too! (otherwise I would've recommended you to get a new one haha) I'm not sure if there's any way to fix it in Singapore, since the shops here don't actually carry the product. But maybe you could try Funan or Sim Lim Square? Sorry but I really have no idea! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah >.< Heart pain. Thank for the reply anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just wondering, is the main language for this Korean or English? That's my only concern now, other than that this model looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Clair! It's actually fully in Korean, but it's not too hard to get around as long as you can read basic Korean. I do find it very useful when I'm studying outside since iphone battery stinks and I can't search Naver all the time! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.I know this kind of late but I just saw your blog like only today and I'm so jealous of you (not the bad kind of jealousy). I wish I could have soooo many resources and time like you to learn hangeul. Ugh.
    But anyway, how much is the Iriver d100 that you bought nowadays? Do you think it is a good idea to buy one?
    I'd like to buy one but I just can't find one here in my country..

    ReplyDelete
  11. eeeeppppp~~~ please message me back on my url and go ask if you will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi~~
    I saw your message to me on my blog and I'm so thankful that you actually did reply (and to think that it was that soon). XD
    Unfortunately, I didn't receive your email. My inbox and junk mail is empty. I think you send it in the wrong em mail. My email address is: zachariehye@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is G-Market really safe?? I'm Planning to Buy a Refurbished one coz my Nurian got Busted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! Well I haven't had any problems with gmarket so far so yup I'd say it's pretty safe. I'm not too sure about refurbished sets though, why not just get an original new one..?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi did it come with a driver?..would you be so kind to send a copy to me..mac_owen@yahoo.com..thanks so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it did come with a driver but it's in a CD form. Maybe you'll be able to find an online version? Sorry!

      Delete
  16. Hello, I just wondered about the charger of this? Is it a USB type or the typical one? Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there! i cant open my iriver d100 because of unlock code and i forgot the password. what can I do?. . I already lost my user's manual. I hope you can help me. pretty pls.. here's my yahoo mail---->> february_eleven@yahoo.com<<----- i'll wait for your reply..thank you^___^

    ReplyDelete
  18. yeah me tooo i forgot how to unlock my iriver d100 i even lost my manual can you help me here is my yahoo account baltazarcj96@yahoo.com.ph hope u help me with my problem

    ReplyDelete